stephaniespines

Stephanie Spines

I like dem pages. Find me youtubin' http://www.youtube.com/user/stephandtimread

The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood I'm new to Margaret Atwood and definitely not disappointed.This story screamed feminist dystopia to me. Like 1984 for feminists. I have to say though, that I really didn't find this book too far from reality. Women's bodies in OUR present realities are seen as just reproductive vessels. It isn't as explicit and overt as Gilead but the messages that we all get from society push us to follow a path in life that leads to having children. The patriarchy that we see in Gilead is alive and well in our present realities. An important nuance that maybe I'm silly for not realizing sooner (and am sharing with hesitation so as to avoid showcasing my obliviousness) in the book was the women's names. They are all 'Of(insert man's name)'. Offred, Ofglen etc. I thought that was brilliant.I really liked Atwood's writing style - like a fictionalized memoir. It's written kind of stream-of-consciousness style which I enjoyed. I thought it gave me more insight into Offred's thought patterns and her inclination to flashback to memories of her life pre-Gilead. I liked the nuances in Offred's character. She was not perfect. Moira was my favourite character; brash and radical, like me.